This blog is for informational purposes only. Please consult with a veterinarian if your pet is ill. Comments are off.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hawthorn for Heart Problems


When I found out one of my cats had a heart murmur, I read up on what to give Joey for this. I found the herb hawthorn to be a great help.

Hawthorn is listed in herbal books as one of the best tonic remedies for the heart. It may be used safely and in long term treatment for heart weakness or failure, palpitations and high blood pressure.

This herb helps the heart in many ways. It dilates the arteries, improving the heart's blood supply. It increases the heart's pumping force and eliminates some types of heart rhythm disturbances.

I sprinkle a bit in Joey's can food every day. He is doing well so hopefully this is helping make his heart stronger.

Since heart issues are very serious, consult with your vet first about using hawthorn as a long term heart tonic.

4 comments:

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Jan likes to use natural means whenever possible too.

Animal Rescue Online said...

Interesting, thank you for posting about this, and I hope your cat stays well.

Abi said...

Hello,

I am interested to learn Reiki-- to use for my 14 yo female/spayed cat. 3 1/2 weeks ago she suffered congestive heart failure/saddle thrombosis with pulmonary and stomach edema. All the vets I talked (from different clinics, as I wanted second opinion(s) : )), just wanted to talk about euthanasia; she was given only a day or so to live.

...but I know my cat, and I can tell that she's not ready to go yet. She was put in an oxygen chamber(?), and was given Furosemide, Prednisone, and shots for pain. Aside from the high hospital bills, I opted to take her home instead, and be with her during these moments--
and monitor her closely.

She was able to walk on the 8th day (but is still limping a bit on her right leg). I finished giving her meds after 1 1/2 weeks, and started giving her Vetri-Science's Cardio Strength and Renal Essentials (she had some kidney infections too- was on Clavamox for a week). I also give her vitamins C and E, extra Taurine, and flaxseed. I also give her Flower Essence: Heart Help with Self Heal from Pet Essences. I make sure (or maybe) that the alcohol content has evaporated before applying it to her.

At the moment, I am waiting for her Dandelion extract w/o alcohol to arrive. I am also looking for a better Hawthorn supplement that could be easily given to her.

By the way, I strongly believe that what has just happened is God's gift to me and to my husband : ). Without unceasing prayers and steadfast faith, my cat, "Cupid" would have not make it through.

Anyway, aside from Reiki info, I also want to know how much you charge for holistic consultation.

Please advise... please.

Thank you.

Abi

catsndogsnaturally said...

Abi

I am so sorry your cat is so ill but you seem to be handling this well. I will send distant Reiki to you and Cupid and would be happy to attune you to Reiki. Until we get the details ironed out try this - I am a great believer in angels and healing light with or without Reiki. Visualize your cat surrounded by healing emerald green light and ask Archangel Raphael to help you heal her. Sit quietly while you do this and ask with a clear intent of seeing Cupid healed and well. Healing will take place if it is meant to be..if it is Cupid's time to leave this planet that is what will happen but it seems like as you said she is not ready yet to go.
What would be a good time to attune you to Reiki - I can do it this evening or this morning. You need to be able to sit quietly and receive it so it is best if you are home. I will post this on my blog in case this email does not go thru!
Blessings!
Cheri

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin