This blog is for informational purposes only. Please consult with a veterinarian if your pet is ill.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Book Review: The Nature of Animal Healing, The Path to Your Pet's Health, Happiness, And Longevity by Martin Goldstein, DVM

I had seen this book on stores bookshelves often but when I picked it up it seemed more like a novel than a reference book so I never bought it. I found it again at the local library and decided to read it. It is a great book.

The first two chapters discuss disease and the struggle for health. Goldstein gives a personal account of his path from western medicine to holistic treatment both for himself and in turn for his patients.

In his next section, he takes on the importance of natural food, the questions behind vaccines and then Goldstein explains each of his treatment tools - vitamins, enzymes, homeopathic remedies, herbs and more. The part I use most is the chapter he discusses what treatment he suggests for each ailment. The final chapter in this section is about cancer and treatments.

Goldstein ends the book with a discussion about the spiritual realm and death. This part of the book really sets him apart from other authors. He shows how animals can mirror back to us what is going on in our lives and sometimes that is the cause of their illness. When we make the corrections and balance our lives out, the pet seems to improve too. He hypothesizes that they also take on ailments to keep us from having to suffer from them. Animal communication is included in this chapter.

Finally Goldstein helps his readers through the death of a pet - how to know when to let go, euthanasia and the death process itself. I found this part extremely helpful in his explanation of the actual process of death and what happens.

A little more reading material than most health care books but for a warm distinctly personal point of view on things, I really enjoyed this book. I just wish Dr Goldstein lived near me so I could use him as my vet!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin